CFG and NCVO respond to business rates consultation

25th September 2012

Charity Finance Group and National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) have responded to a technical consultation on Business Rates to voice concerns about the potential impact on charities. 

Under the Business Rates Retention scheme local authorities will be able to keep a higher proportion of Business Rates (the charges payable to local authorities for buildings that are not used for domestic purposes).

Charities will continue to be eligible for 80% mandatory relief on these charges, with the remaining 20% being available at the discretion of the local authority.

We want to ensure that the changes to allow local areas to keep higher proportion of Business Rates will not negatively impact upon charities being able to claim discretionary relief.

Read our joint response to the Business Rates consultation in full here.

  • Email
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Linkedin

© Charity Finance Group / © Charities Resource Network / Registered Office: 15-18 White Lion Street, London, N1 9PG.
A Company Limited by Guarantee. Registered in England No. 3182826, Registered Charity No. 1054914, Registered VAT No. 945 6038 09.